welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Sunday, February 16, 2014

BUSTER PUZZLE





I owe an apology to those of you who have dropped by to read about MONSTER FUN COMIC because I will have to postpone the series by just a little bit and write about BUSTER instead...

I was doing some research the other day and found something interesting that I’d like to share with you. I will start with a challenge: can you guess why I’ve decided to show this unremarkable and seemingly random cover of BUSTER that bears today’s date in 1980?  If you need a hint, I can tell you it’s a landmark issue of the title. The clue is in the date (and it has nothing to do with the fact that it's the National Holiday where I live).

Feel free to leave your guesses in the comments section and come back in a day or two for the correct answer.

EDIT 11th  January, 2016: Further to some new information that has recently come to my attention, this post has become misleading because in fact I should have shown the cover of the issue dated 12th January, 1980. You can view it HERE, alongside with the answer to the puzzle question. I should have probably deleted this post, but decided against it. I will leave it as an illustration that researching comics is an ongoing live process :)

14 comments:

  1. -20 years old Buster..?

    They did celebrate the 21 years of Buster for most of the year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, the first issue had the cover date of 28th May 1960, so the anniversary was still a few months away...

      Delete
    2. The first Buster without Monster Fun in the title?

      Delete
    3. Not quite - the last Buster and MF came out in the end of August in 1979...

      Delete
  2. I just knocked up a quick spreadsheet which shows that if Buster had been published every week since it first appeared, the 16 February 1980 edition would have been number 1030, so I'm guessing that allowing for issues that failed to appear due to industrial action etc, the 16 Feb 1980 edition was actually number 1000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niblet, I ought to have censored your comment out to keep the suspense, but yes, you are right! This is the cover of Buster issue No. 1,000!

      Delete
    2. ...The only thing is that according to my calculations, it was week 1029, so it should have been issue No. 1029, not 1030. I hope I haven't missed something because it would be quite embarassing...

      Delete
    3. On 13/3/82, someone wrote in to ask how many issues of Buster there had been up to that point. Buster’s response was, “Shall we settle for 1140”, based on 21 years × 52 issues (1092), plus the issues since the comic’s 21st birthday the year before. If this date for the 1000th issue is correct, Buster’s figure is off by at least 30 issues. I’d give a precise figure but can’t remember offhand how many issues there were in 1980, what with the nasty gap in May/June.

      Delete
    4. Their assumption that there were 52 issues published during all of the 21 years preceding 1982 was incorrect because there were quite a few gaps, particularly in the seventies with 1970, 1971 and 1974 being the years which were worst affected.

      Delete
    5. You’ve probably noticed something funny happens when you count the issues of a year of which the first issue is 1st Jan, such as 1977: “17th Dec, no 51, 24th Dec, no 52, Dec 31st … no 53?!!”

      Delete
    6. Stephen, your find is another proof of how poor IPC were at keeping the count of their issue Nos: I checked my list and found that the issue with the cover date of 13th March, 1982 was in fact No. 1104. They forgot to take into consideration that Buster No. 1 came out on May 28th, 1960 which means there were only 32 issues in the first year. Buster had two double-dated issues in 1970 and missed 6 weeks later that year. In 1971 it missed 5 weeks and as many as 10 weeks in 1974, followed by 2 more in 1975. Then all was good until 1980 when Buster was not published for another 8 weeks (two 4-weeks’ sequences).

      As for editions with the date of Jan 1, there were 3 by then (1966, 1972 and 1977).

      Delete
    7. I daresay if anyone were about to put this point to, they’d say, “We meant 1104 but got the last two digits the wrong way round”. ‘Do Me a Favour Buster’ was supposed to be Buster himself answering questions, but as adults were actually in charge you’d think they’d get their numbering right. Makes you wonder where you stand: was 7/5/83 REALLY Whizzer & Chips’ 700th issue?

      Delete
    8. Stephen, I suggest you download this very useful Wh&Ch numbering guide here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/13euoibi3512axj/Issue+Guide+%28WC+WCM+WP%29.xlsx

      You probably won't be too surprised when you find out that Whizzer and Chips with the cover date of 7th May, 1983 was in fact No. 708. The same happened to Whoopee - IPC celebrated the issue of 5th November, 1983 as No. 500 of the comic although it was No. 494... Getting their numbering right appears to have been quite a challenge for IPC staff.

      Delete
  3. Just spotted the link – very useful indeed – and no the 700th issue of W&C occurring about two months before doesn’t surprise me in the least! Also the missing issues of Whoopee from early ’75 explain the gap in the British Library’s collection for that year. One wonders though – how was this information derived? The obvious answer’s from the comics themselves but there are few of us who’ve so complete a run. If it were you who drew this up, congratulations – and well done!

    ReplyDelete